JOB ADVERT AT GLOBAL HEALTH SYSTEMS SOLUTIONS FOR THE POSITION OF EPIDEMIOLOGISTS
Global Health Systems Solutions (GHSS) is a non-governmental and not for profit organization dedicated to seeking innovative solutions to strengthen health systems in developing countries for effective service delivery and surveillance of infectious, non-infectious, and neglected tropical diseases. We focus in three key areas: improve laboratory systems and services critical for disease management, surveillance, and prevention; enhance field surveillance and epidemiological training for relevant animal and human-health to mitigate threats posed by diseases; and improve service delivery at all health levels.
Our major collaborators include Ministries of Health, World Health Organization (WHO), United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Africa Centers for Disease Control, Mastercard Foundation and several bi-lateral organizations.
We are currently seeking for two (02) outstanding, qualified and experienced Epidemiologists for a COVID-19 vaccination program in Cameroon.
- PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The epidemiologist will provide technical and strategic epidemiologic support to plan, develop, and implement COVID-19 response activities related to surveillance, information systems, data analytics, and monitoring and evaluation.
- PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The primary responsibilities of the Epidemiologist are:
- Provide epidemiological expertise and technical assistance in the intersection of service delivery and data analytics and use for COVID-19 vaccination. This may include strengthening or supporting the development of systems for disease surveillance (for early detection, investigation and response), contact tracing, and tracking the delivery of immunizations and safety surveillance for AEFIs;
- Define key indicators for monitoring immunization performance, review existing national information management systems and determine their usability for COVID-19 vaccination data management and identify required modifications;
- Provide technical support to Digital Solutions team to inform development, deployment, implementation and monitoring of necessary tools to manage COVID-19 vaccination programs, improve supply chain and logistics management information systems, surveillance systems, etc;
- Support the introduction of an electronic tool, paper-based or partially digitized system, for capturing and monitoring COVID-19 vaccination roll-out, if no such system exists, based on standard requirements;
- Advise and contribute to the analysis of information to guide the appropriate planning, deployment, management, and monitoring of COVID-19 vaccine delivery;
- Strengthen the collection, management, analysis, interpretation and use of surveillance data to inform the COVID-19 response, contributing to thought leadership and engaging country-based teams to build a local capacity building and expedite the transition.
Experience in immunization, public health surveillance systems, disease prevention and control programming efforts, vaccine-preventable disease programming, and/or emergency preparedness and response in international settings, including experience working with developing country disease surveillance systems;
Experience in routine immunization program management and/or vaccine delivery implementation, including AEFI surveillance and response and the Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI);
Experience in collection and use of epidemiologic data for program planning and implementation, including knowledge of predictive analytics and innovative methodologies;
Experience in the response to outbreaks in low and middle-income countries (e.g., COVID-19, Ebola, zika, cholera, etc). Experience in HIV/AIDS, preferred.
KEY COMPETENCIES & PROFESSIONAL EXPERTISE REQUIRED
Knowledge and understanding of the Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI), including use of EPI data;
Knowledge and understanding of the Global Health Security Agenda, including pandemic preparedness and response, diagnostic networks/early warning system, laboratory system;
Strong work planning, budget and staff planning skills;
Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
Proficiency in statistical software (STATA, SAS, SPSS, R);
Ability to work in a dynamic and agile environment with changing requirements and priorities;
Ability to guide and support the clients, project teams and technical teams in designing and implementing solutions that meet the specified requirements;
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with team members and clients of different cultures, gender, and hierarchical levels;
Willingness to travel and work abroad 25-30% of the time in developing countries and elsewhere.
Detail-oriented and deadline-driven with strong organizational skills;
Highly self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in team settings;
Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a fast-moving and multicultural team while maintaining a client-centered focus.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
Candidates should be holder of MD + MPH or Masters in epidemiology, with at least five (05) years of experience in this position.
- WORK LOCATION
Interested candidates should be ready to work anywhere within the national territory.
- CONTRACT DURATION
One (01) year renewable.
The salary for this position is very competitive, attractive and negotiable.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
The complete application file comprising a motivation letter, a CV with three referees and copies of diplomas can be submitted online via email@example.com, or at GHSS head office situate at Denver layout, Bonamoussadi Douala from 9am – 3pm, Monday to Friday.
DEADLINE: 10th October 2022.
NB: We strongly welcome early applications. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted